Just a little note:

I'm just setting this up! More to come soon!

Sunday, November 8, 2009

General Updates: Whats working, whats not and where we are going from here!


The ArduIMU, Which handles the accelerometer and GPS data is working well, I need to fine tune the accelerometer output but its functional.

My initial plan was to then control my sensor array from the XMOS, well that turned out to be a bad idea... The XMOS doesn't have any built-in support for analog sensors and since I'm using infrared and ultrasonic sensors that output analog data thats a no go...

Solution?... Use an Arduino to control the array and send the data back to the XMOS via serial, I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to do that yet but here are my ideas... It looks like I can setup a UART for each controller (ArduIMU and Arduino) and funnel data directly from the uC to the XMOS. If thats not possible my other alternative is to go through a PC intermediary... I already have a PicoITX system on the ROV now so thats not really a problem if I have to go that route... my main concern is using up too many threads on serial communication.

Now I'm having a hard time getting my arduino to behave the way I want it to with this sensor array :( but I'm hacking it out. I'll try and get some screen shots and code posted soon.

2 comments:

  1. Have you thought of using an adc chip to get the analog signals into the digital xmos?

    Having the same problem with xmos, no adc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I find the arduino too easy to use and cost effective though overkill I admit

    ReplyDelete